The Sag Harbor Historical Society was established in 1985 and incorporated in 1989. The Mission of the Sag Harbor Historical Society (SHHS) is to promote and encourage public education and appreciation of Sag Harbor history; and to work for the preservation of historic buildings and sites; and to foster the preservation of the historic character of the village.
The Society's headquarters are located in the Annie Cooper Boyd House on Main Street in Sag Harbor. The house dates back to the 18th century and was once thought to be the house in which David Frothingham first published the Long Island Herald, Long Island's first newspaper, in the 1790's. Today, research has proven this untrue, and it is likely that Frothingham ran his business from a building located across the street from the Annie Cooper Boyd House. The house is currently undergoing restoration and donations are welcome.